Wednesday, February 11, 2015

2/8/15 Small Stream Trout

I got out over the weekend to do some small stream trout fishing. On warm winter days, the fish are extremely active and willing to hit lures. I was throwing small spinners with the barbs pinched off the trebles. I lost several fish due to the barbless hooks but I'd rather lose a few fish than tear up fish that I do manage to bring to hand. The river is small and it's extremely tight for casting. I actually probably do much more underhanded pitching than any real casting in this kind of situation. There was quite a bit of shelf ice and I ended up on my butt several times throughout the course of the day. Also, there were some spots where ice was completely covering small side channels of the river. It was really deceptive and if I hadn't been there quite a few times before I could have walked out on that ice without knowing it. All in all it was a great day of fishing! I landed two really nice Browns, a decent Rainbow, and a few small Browns.


No comments:

Post a Comment