Monday, March 9, 2015

3/8/15 I'm Back!

I met up with Nick the "Brookfield Angler" on Sunday to do a little spring Coho Salmon fishing. We met up at one of the few ice-free tributaries to Lake Michigan. There were tons of people out fishing from the bank and from boats! The day started out rather slow, but we were seeing other anglers pull in the occasional Coho so we remained optimistic. We paddled upstream for almost 2 1/2 miles. As we went, the temperature of the water increased from 39 degrees to a balmy 45. We paddled upstream until ice and a laydown blocked any further upstream progress. This river system is very unique and a really neat place to paddle. The bank has extremely high sides and the water is relatively clear and fast moving. We began fishing our way back downstream looking for some Steelhead or Coho action. I was throwing a bright orange spoon and had two Cohos chase, but not hit my lure. It wasn't until I switched to a small orange/red crankbait that I caught my first fish, a Coho of just over 16 inches. Over the next several hours fishing was slow, but we managed to land a few more Cohos. It was really REALLY nice to be back on the water after a two-month forced hiatus. The weather was pretty nice and the scenery was unique. Once the lake opens up the game will really be on. I hope you are ready. Spring fishing is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment