Monday, July 6, 2015

7/5/15 River Fishing. Finally!!!!

Wouldnt you know it, the stars finally aligned. The rain stopped long enough to let the rivers finally come down. I made plans with fellow WCO kayak fishing team member Kyle Polk to fish a stretch of the White River. After an eventful drive down I-69 (crazy Holiday traffic), I met up with Kyle to float a section that I had not visited in 8 years. While setting up our shuttle Kyle noticed that he had forgotten a somewhat critical piece of kayaking gear: his paddle. Much to his credit, he made the best of the situation and successfully navigated the river with a length of PVC pipe, using it both as a paddle and push pole. I'd like to give him some major props as I don't know that I would have even attempted it. The section of river we fished is amazing! The bottom is nice and hard featuring sand, gravel, and rock. Rock ledges and occasional boulders are also thrown in for good measure. The current was relatively fast and there were many small riffles and quick moving sections. The banks are mostly wooded with an ocassional house or bridge.  The fishing was outstanding! I didn't bother counting but I'd say that we both caught over 20 smallies each. Most were in the 8-12 inch range, but we each got a few better ones. I got one that was 15 1/2" and one that went 17". Kyle got several pushing the 14" mark. I caught the majority of my bass on a white, nose hooked Zoom Fluke. My two biggest fish came on a small crayfish pattern Bomber crankbait. Honestly, I feel like you could have thrown just about anything and got them to bite. At one point I hooked a decent fish. As I was fighting it to the boat, another fish came up and the stole the Fluke off of my line! It was a wonderful day and Kyle and I had an absolute blast! I can't wait to get back out and do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment