Monday, August 3, 2015

8/2/15 Quick Pike Adventure

I had about an hour and a half to get out to my favorite Pike spot on Sunday. More rivers in Indiana are finally getting to a fishable level. I have a 7 foot, heavy power, fast action rod that I had modified to have a large front grip specifically to fish for river Pike. The rod turned out to be just perfect and comfortable to handle and cast. I was also tasked with throwing a spinner that was tied by a local fly tyer to try it out. The spinner looked great in the water and the fish thought so too! I made the trip early in the morning getting to the river by 7:00. Within my first few casts I started to see fish. I had several follows similar to Musky fishing. I need to start doing a figure 8 while fishing for Pike. I feel like I would have definitely had a shot at catching at least two more if I had done something with the lure at boat side. Regardless, I pretty quickly landed a nice one over 30 inches (my measuring board is 30'' for reference). It gave me a wonderful fight and released well. Before I knew it though it was time to head out. I was meeting up to go to the East Race in South Bend for some white water kayaking. It was a fun trip and I'm looking to get back out again in the near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment