Tuesday, November 1, 2016

10/30/16 A Very Varied Weekend

On Friday (10/28), I got out of work just in time to drive down to a local reservoir and fish for Crappies. Kelly and I headed down and arrived with only around 2 hours to fish. We spent the majority of the time fishing stick-ups with jigs and floats. The action was fast and furious but the size of the fish left something to be desired. Most of the fish we caught were between 5 and 8 inches in length. We did sort through and keep about 9 fish between 9 and 12 inches long to eat. This included 7 Crappies and two nice White Bass. It was a fun and quick evening trip.
On Saturday (10/29), I spent the majority of the day helping Kelly's uncle put a new metal roof on his lake cottage. I figured it would take most of the day but on the off chance we got done a little early I took my kayak and my trout gear. We completed the roof in no time and also did some soffit and put the gutters back up. It was around 5 o'clock but with the ridiculously warm weather and only being about 5 minutes from a trout lake I decided to give it a try. I arrived and got my flies in the water and proceeded to hammer nice holdover Rainbows for the next two hours. I landed 4 very nice fish between 15 and 17 inches and lost at least 6 more to jumps. The fish were absolutely on fire and would run and jump until they escaped or were too exhausted to continue. I love how these fish fight when the water is in the 50's!
On Sunday (10/30), Mike and I met up in the afternoon to try our luck fishing for Muskies. We spent about 6 hours on the water without catching any Muskies or even a single follow! Luckily, the Northern Pike were in a much better mood and we both ended up boating 2 Pike apiece. I had a large Pike follow my lure to the boat just like a Muskie would have done. I also had two other smaller Pike hit my lures without getting hooked. Catching Pike while fishing for Muskies is a little disappointing but at least they gave us some action and saved us from an otherwise potential skunk of a day!


No comments:

Post a Comment