Thursday, September 18, 2014

9/18/14 Steelhead from the kayak

Well I finally did it. I caught my first Steelhead from the kayak! This bruiser measured out right at 34''. I had fished for a few hours and had only seen a few fish. I was casting a fluorescent orange spinner to a submerged tree and whamo! This fish came out from under the tree and absolutely hammered my spinner. When I set the hook, the fish immediately went air born. The fish then peeled off about 40 yards of line heading upstream as fast as I have ever seen. With a little pressure the fish took another big jump and raced straight back to me. I had to reel in line as fast as I could to keep tension on him! After that was a 5 minute game of tug of war before he finally decided enough was enough and came to the net. This fish had extremely broad shoulders and was fairly chunky for a summer run fish. These things are insane and 1 fish made this trip well worth my time. With the cold water, this Skamania released well and will certainly live to fight another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment