Tuesday, September 29, 2015

9/13/15 Sunday Fun Day

I met up with Mike and Larry to fish the Elkhart River in Elkhart. We fished the section from Studebaker Park to the Elkhart's confluence with the St. Joe. I was very excited to fish this section of water. The weather was cold to begin with but as the day went on it warmed up very nicely. The river itself was very nice. It had a nice gravel, rock, and sand bottom, very clear water, and good structure including deep pools, many bridges, and quite a few laydowns. I fly fished the majority of the time but also threw a spinnerbait looking for Pike. The Smallmouth fishing was decent with consistent action. The only downside was that every fish that I caught was on the small side (8"-10''). I probably caught 20 or so throughout the day. I only caught one Pike and it was very small. I caught it on my fly rod and I was very grateful that it did not bite me off. Larry managed to catch one decent Pike around 20 inches on a spinner. The highlight of the day was when Mike managed to land a beauty of a Walleye. This very nice 22" fish hit a spinnerbait. All in all it was a nice day, but I'm not sure that I would rush back to fish this stretch of river again.


No comments:

Post a Comment