Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Here a Pike, There a Pike, Everywhere a Pike 9/4/15-9/7/15

3 rivers, 3 days, and Pike everywhere. Just the way I like to end my Summer. I was extremely lucky on Friday night and Saturday both that I did not get rained on. On Friday, a large thunderstorm went just South of where I was fishing. I could see lightning and hear thunder the majority of the time I was on the water. It never did rain much. I caught a few bass both Largemouth and Smallmouth. I also caught one nice Pike. It surprised me when it struck right at the boat. I also had a follow from a large fish but couldn't entice it to bite. On Saturday, Larry, Dave, and I drove to northern Indiana to fish a beautiful stretch of the Elkhart River. On the way, we drove through heavy rain, strong winds, thunder, and lightning. It cleared up a few minutes before our arrival at the put-in. A quick check of the weather on our smart-phones and we were prepared for the worst. The radar did not look good and there was almost a 100% chance of rain for at least the next 4 hours! We'd come this far so we decided to fish anyways, and wouldn't you know it, it never rained one drop while we were on the water! It turned out to be a very nice day with slightly cooler temperatures and partly cloudy skies. The fish agreed and it was a banner day for river Pike. I landed 9 fish all over 20 inches with the biggest being a stout 33 incher. The fish wasn't long but it sure was heavy. Without weighing it, I bet it was close to 10 pounds! I caught it right at the end of the day. I was just telling Larry how I was surprised that I hadn't even seen a bigger fish all day. It came from nowhere and latched onto my lure. It reminded me of a Musky strike and it was awesome getting to see it come from out of nowhere in clear water and smash my lure. Monday on the Tippecanoe River was a different day. It was extremely hot and sunny. The fishing wasn't anything to brag about but I did land 4 Pike throughout the day and had a nice fish follow to the boat before veering off. I hope to get a few more chances at Summer Pike but Fall is coming soon! It'll be here before you know it. Get out and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!


No comments:

Post a Comment