Tuesday, April 11, 2017

4/8/17 Why I Use Fluorocarbon Leaders

I see a lot of people using steel or wire leaders when fishing for Pike and Muskie. I think this is a mistake and I think that for the vast majority of cases you should be using Fluorocarbon. Here's why: This past weekend I was on a lake fishing for Pike. I was throwing a large Rapala X-Rap. I threw a cast and my lure got absolutely slammed. I thought for sure that I had a Pike. The fish came to the surface and started rolling. I just figured I had hooked a small Pike. The fish got closer to the boat and I realized that I did not have a Pike at all, it was a very nice sized Rainbow Trout! Now there is absolutely no way that a Trout would have hit a lure with a steel or wire leader. Even in the clear water of the lake I was fishing, the 80lb Fluorocarbon I was using disappeared enough to fool a Trout. I strongly believe that I would have never caught that trout with a steel or wire leader. I also believe that in the summer, Fluorocarbon leaders help me catch more and bigger Smallmouth Bass. Heavy Fluorocarbon leaders will help you catch more leader shy fish and they will keep you protected from Pike and Muskie bite offs.


No comments:

Post a Comment