Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pike Fly Tying

I'm going to walk through a brief tutorial on how to tie a streamer fly for Pike. I have had a lot of success with similar flys this summer.


I start off this fly with a 2/0 hook. Add in a
good base of thread down the shank of the hook.
I add in a TON of flash. From my experience fishing for Pike,
the more flash the better. I use quite a bit of head cement after
each material I add. This adds some durability to the fly.
 This is a pretty important step for Pike as they will destroy
 a fly pretty quickly otherwise.
I tie in a good sized clump of orange for the top color. I'm going
 to be fishing this fly in stained water so I want it bright and
 colorful. In clear water you may want to go with a more
 subdued color but this bright fly will probably still take fish.
Invert the fly and tie in white for the bottom color.
Whip finish and finish the fly off with more head cement.
I then add stick-on eyes. I then use epoxy to build a head
around the eyes and front of the fly. You need to have a
rotating vise to complete this step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment