Wednesday, November 12, 2014

11/10/14 Gettin' Jiggy With It

Today was another 'take your kayak to work day'. I made a big push to get out today because the weather looks like it is going to take a nasty turn for the worse. Got out of work about 4 o'clock which left me with about 2 hours to fish. I got things started pretty quickly by hooking up within the first ten minutes on the water. I hooked this fish right at the base of the dam. I could tell it was a nice one cause it really didn't want to leave the dam and when it did it stayed nice and deep and bulldogged a few times. I got it up where i could see it so I grabbed the net. About the time I was going to make my move the hooked popped out! This was actually the first Walleye I have lost this year. I've managed to land every single other fish so I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Unfortunately though, it was a really nice fish and would have definitely been in the top 3 for the year size wise. Undeterred, I fished on and eventually hooked up and landed a nice 18''er. It gave me more of a frantic fight than actually displaying any strength or power. I ended the night with another hook up. This fish felt pretty good too. It was pulling good and you could feel each head shake as I brought it to the boat. Got it in to discover that it was a small fish that may not have even been 14''. Gave me a good fight and a good picture with the sunset in the background. All in all not too bad of a day. Went 2/3 and got to enjoy the beautiful evening. All fish were caught on a lead head jig and Berkley Powerbait flukes.
One more interesting thing happened. I got snagged on a retrieve. I couldn't get it to come undone so I was pulling a lot of pressure on it. I felt something give and saw my jig come into sight. It was hooked on another anglers line that had previously been broken off. The line was wrapped around a log which I was pulling up enough to get in view. The log was absolutely covered in lures! Without much effort, I recovered 4 jigs and 3 nice crankbaits along with a mass of fishing line. Pretty strange but pretty neat as with some new trebles I have some throw away lures to use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment