Monday, December 22, 2014

12/21/14 Will it ever stop? Yo - I don't know


As I was driving to the lake yesterday, I was getting more and more worried. Every lake and pond that I passed was frozen solid with no sign of open water. Keeping my fingers crossed for open water...I arrived at the lake to find quite a bit of ice on the lake but open water all the way to the shore where I was going to launch my kayak. Whew...open water still! I got on the lake and quickly got into some fish on the windy side. As I was fighting one fish, the wind was pushing me into the shore. I got that fish in and released it. I started to paddle back out into deep water while I still had my other line out and got a fish on the other rod! The action was pretty consistent throughout the day. I ended up having my best day of the year (so far) landing 12 of a potential 18 Rainbows. I caught most of my fish up very shallow in only a few feet of water on clouser minnows. Later in the day, I met up with another kayak angler on the water. He had put in at the public access and was only able to get on the water because some duck hunters had busted about 75 yards of ice when they came and went earlier in the morning. Nice to see another person out enjoying the decent weather and good fishing. The sun came out later in the day and the fishing slowed down a bit. By the end of the day, all the ice had broken up and pushed off the lake. Looks like I may get one or two more chances if the weather stays warm for a few days. If you're getting out, good luck and be safe!
  
Check out all the ice on the lake!
This is what heppens when you take a picture of a rainbow facing into the sun. All the colors get blotted out with silver!
This is what happens when the sun is behind you, not much better. I hate the sun for getting trout pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment