Monday, April 27, 2015

4/26/15 Hard Times and a Good Choice

Besides Lake Michigan and it's tributaries, I have had a pretty difficult spring fishing season. Our rivers in town have been inhospitable and have not given up any Walleyes and very few Crappies. The Crappie fishing should be very good by now and it still continues to baffle me. It's like they are not around at all. Out of 3 trips on the river I have only got 1 Crappie. Conditions have not been right under our dams to chase Walleyes from a kayak. Despite the hard times, I invited fellow WCO kayak fishing team member Kyle P. up to fish with me. We started off fishing under a dam for Walleyes with absolutely no luck. We then moved downstream to a stretch of river I know holds lots of nice game fish. After pounding the banks with nothing to show for it, it was clear that we needed to make a change before the whole day got away from us. Over lunch we discussed our options and decided to fish a small stream for Smallmouth Bass and Pike. Upon arrival, it was pretty evident that stream conditions were absolutely ideal. Good flow and a slight tea color to the otherwise clear water made for a welcome sight. We began fishing and within minutes, I had landed my first Smallmouth. We worked our way upstream and I continued to pick up fish. The smallies were extremely aggressive and were demolishing the large double bladed spinnerbait I was throwing in hopes of enticing a nice Pike. I did end up catching two small "hammer handle" Pike but the highlight was definitely the exceptional Smallmouth fishing. On the return trip, the fading light of late afternoon was shining between the trees giving the water a striped appearance. From a standing position in my Predator MX, I could see my spinnerbait each time it moved into a section of water illuminated by the sun. In view, out of view, in view, out of view. The next time I could see it, a bronze fish darted from out of nowhere and snatched the lure and headed back for cover. Once hooked it came to the surface and jumped a few times before coming to hand. Getting to watch the entire thing from strike, to hookset, to landing the fish makes for a great memory. In total I brought 10 Smallmouth, 2 Pike, and 1 Rock Bass to hand. The biggest Smallie was just under 16 inches in length. It was awesome to be out and have success even if it wasn't the plan at the start of the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment