Monday, October 12, 2015

10/10/15 The Fast and the Furious

On a whim, Kelly and I went down to Salamonie Reservoir to look for White Bass and Crappies. We didn't arrive at the lake until 5:30PM so we didn't have very long to look for fish. The good news: I got my kayak in the water, cast a small spinner on my ultralight rod, and immediately caught my first White Bass. Catching a fish on the first cast is usually either really good luck or really bad luck. Either the action will continue or that will be the only fish caught during the trip. Luckily the action continued and within a few minutes I was catching fish on consecutive casts. Looking out over the water, you could see Shad constantly being chased and jumping out of the water. Kelly started off fishing a bobber and jig around downed timber. She quickly caught her first crappie within minutes of starting to fish. Once I realized how many White Bass were in the area though, I had Kelly switch over to throwing a spinner as well. Over the next hour the action was fast and furious. We had multiple doubles and I really couldn't tell you how many fish we caught. If I had to guess I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50. Most of the fish were between 8 to 12 inches. If you've never caught White Bass before you might be surprised how well they fight for their size. They fight very frantically and the bigger ones can really pull hard. They make for great sport on light rods and Kelly and I both had a blast. It is always great when the fish are this cooperative.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment