Thursday, March 23, 2017

3/18/17 Pedaling My Way to Holdover Trout

This past Saturday, Reid and I got up to fish one of the Northern Indiana Trout lakes. This was my third time out in the Predator PDL and I must say that I am extremely impressed with this kayak! It is a little bit of a pain getting it to the water as it is significantly heavier than my Predator MX. In addition it has a lot more pieces and parts than my MX adding to the complexity of taking it fishing. While I don't enjoy that part of it, once it is on the water it is an absolute blast! Being able to peddle and set my lines for trolling at the same time is a significant benefit. When you hook up you can also use the peddles to keep moving and add pressure to keep fish on the hook. I have some big things in mind for this kayak and getting onto some holdover trout only makes me that much more excited to try for bigger Trout and Salmon. The boat is very fast as I was able to clock it at over 6 miles an hour with my Humminbird Helix 5. It was extremely windy and wavy and this boat handled it exceedingly well! Even with the high seat position, I never once felt uncomfortable. Having to cross the lake in a paddle kayak would have taken a ton of effort but was amazingly easy in the PDL. Honestly, I am blown away. I never thought I would be fishing from a kayak with a peddle drive but now that I have one, I can't imagine going back to the paddle for this type of fishing. There really is just no comparison. As for the fishing, I got 8 very nice trout into the boat over the course of the day. If you haven't got out yet, now is the time. I hear that the DNR will be stocking the trout lakes soon so I will be done for the year as I don't have any interest in catching the tiny trout that have just been thrown in! If you are looking for fast action though there will be tons of trout to chase before long.


No comments:

Post a Comment